What are chickenpox?
There is a vaccine against chickenpox. Children in the Netherlands are not vaccinated against chickenpox. For children with a weakened immune system there are antibodies that protect them against this childhood disease.
- often mild fever in the beginning
- small red spots the size of a pinhead
- the spots usually sit first on the torso and then on the face, arms, legs and hairy scalp
- the chickenpox is sometimes also in the mouth, nose or vagina or penis
- big itch; scratching can cause the blisters to ignite
- filled blisters on the spots; these dry later into crusts
- spots, blisters and scabs are present at the same time
How do chickenpox arise?
Chickenpox Varicella. Is it serious and what can you expect?
When to the doctor?
- does not feel sick and
- has no fever
- feel sick
- has a high fever
What can you do about it yourself?
- Sometimes children with chickenpox have no appetite. Don’t force them on food. Make sure you drink enough. Tea, broth or fruit juices are the most suitable. Popsicles are often a good solution
- Bed rest is only necessary if the child needs it. Also, the child does not necessarily have to stay inside. Even with a little fever, your child can go outside, if it feels like it
- A child with chickenpox can simply take a bath or shower
- In the case of itching you can dab the skin with vinegar or water in which a lemon has been squeezed. Heat often increases the itch. Sometimes a tepid shower helps. Menthol powder also has an enlightening effect. You can buy this at the drugstore. If your child has itching, keep his nails short and clean. Otherwise scratching your child’s skin can cause infections. For babies and toddlers let the diaper as much as possible and possibly put on socks or mittens against scratching
- Paracetamol does not contribute to the recovery of chickenpox. However, the feeling of illness and the fever are temporarily suppressed
General advice and precautions
- a pregnant woman who has never had chickenpox
- a newborn child
- someone with a disturbed immune system
Click the other articles of Edexme.com, you can view more info here. If you like this article, please leave your comments and share this with your friends via social media.