Everything about abdominal surgery. The dream of many women for flat belly promises cosmetic medicine to come true with the help of modern abdominal surgery.
Then we will analyze everything about the method that treats abdominal relaxation and offers tightening by sculpting the abdominal area. From abdominal techniques that exist and the cost of such an operation to the healing process and comparing it before and after through illustrative photographs.
Let’s see Everything about abdominal surgery.
What is abdominal surgery
As the term itself reveals, it is abdominal plastic (anterior or lateral) and is in no way a slimming method. Its purpose is to treat anatomical problems (abdomen protruding relative to the rest of the body) or to aesthetically relax the skin and inner wall of muscles at this point.
Along with abdominal surgery, partial abdominal liposuction can be performed as long as there is excess fat. So after the procedure, you can get the flat belly that you have not been able to achieve with diet, exercise or other ways of tightening. As well as correcting the stretch marks that appear beneath the belly button.
But beware, this method is not suitable for treating obesity. You should first lose weight or remove the belly fat and then have plastic surgery. This means that in some cases abdominal surgery is combined with abdominal liposuction.
Sharp weight loss, pregnancy, and some digestive tract disorders are the main causes of abdominal relaxation. Sometimes the problem is severe (belly that folds and pouches) and sometimes less obvious. In essence, belly skin loses its elasticity and cannot return to its former smooth and firm appearance. For this reason, the surplus or hanging skin is removed and the muscles tightened with special sutures.
Ideal candidates for plastic surgery in the abdominal area
- Healthy and fit women (and men) with abdominal skin loosening, stretch marks and excessive fat deposition not treated with diet, exercise or other non-invasive means.
- The hanging and folding belly is a key reason for becoming an ideal candidate, regardless of age. Even if excessive skin relaxation results in increased sweating, fungal infections and infections in the area above the adolescent and below the navel, then the problem besides cosmetics, becomes medical.
- Another indication that plastic surgery on the abdomen is useful is umbilical or abdominal.
- Those who have undergone gastrointestinal surgery (sleeve, etc.) to treat obesity and their abdomen is greatly relaxed.
- If there are scars from previous operations that are unattractive but have not disturbed the area, abdominal surgery can remove them. However, there are some cases where it is not indicated due to an increased risk of complications.
- Women who have given birth many times and their abdominal muscles or skin are very relaxed and not corrected by exercise.
But beware, women who want to become pregnant in the future must first give birth and then have an abortion. This is because rectal abdominal muscles that are tightened with surgery may loosen up with pregnancy and abdominal wall hernias may develop.
What to do before plastic surgery to correct abdominal relaxation
The first step is to find the right and experienced plastic surgeon. So do a thorough internet search, read reviews and view photos before and after the abdominal surgery that this doctor has done. This way you’ll be sure of his job.
Then make an appointment with him to discuss the topic and explain what you want to do. Together you will come up with the right method for your problem. You will also learn everything you need to know about the surgery (possible complications, contraindications, risk of surgery and postoperative course). Another important element that needs to be clarified is the final cost of abdominal surgery.
After analyzing all of the above and agreeing, the doctor will photograph the area to study it and give you instructions on how to prepare for the operation. For example, in order to heal wounds properly and quickly, if you are a smoker you will need to cut the cigarette 2 weeks before surgery.
You should also follow a diet (not exhaustive), take vitamins, avoid sunbathing and do not use aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs for 2 weeks. If you are using birth control pills, you should stop taking them for about 1 month before surgery.
Before surgery, you should have a preoperative examination (blood, urine, urea, creatinine, sugar, electrolytes, chest x-ray and electrocardiogram). There are, of course, cases where additional abdominal computed tomography may be needed to determine if there is a hernia.
Also, before the abdominal plastic begins, the doctor applies to the patient antithrombotic socks to aid blood circulation, a mechanical pressure device on the calves (Flowtron) and an electric blanket to balance body temperature during surgery.
In the event of a cold or illness, the surgery may be postponed for a few days.
Methods for abdominal plastic and treatment of relaxation
Depending on the extent of the problem and the patient’s wishes, the doctor concludes with the ideal method for treating relaxation and removing fat from the abdomen. The basic abdominal techniques are as follows.
Classical abdominal surgery
Also known as full or full plastic belly, this method is used to treat significant relaxation of the skin and muscle wall. During surgery, which lasts 2-3 hours and is performed under general anesthesia, the surgeon removes the excess skin and fat accumulated in the abdominal wall between the pubic area and the belly button. All of this is accomplished through a curved usually 20 to 30 cm long section of the bikini, which is not visible from the underwear or swimsuit. In some cases, an even smaller incision around the belly button is needed.
If there is a greater amount of fat in the area, complete abdominal surgery is combined with liposuction, which can be done before, during, or after plastic surgery on the abdomen. Also, any hernias that may be present can be removed during surgery.
After the incision is made, the skin is lifted and a second incision is made in the belly button to release it from the surrounding tissue. Then the abdominal muscles are stitched to tighten the waist and create a more stable background. The skin is then pulled down to stretch, cut off the excess piece and join with special stitches, placing the navel in the correct position.
Finally, vacuum drainage and bandages are inserted if necessary, and a special corset belt is required to hold the abdomen.
Mini plastic belly
This is a plastic abdominal surgery that is applied to lesser skin loosening (up to 12 cm wide) and lasts 1-2 hours. In this method, a 10-20cm cut is made at the inside of the bikini so that it will not be visible from the underwear or swimsuit and there is no movement of the skirt.
In this case, too, abdominal surgery can be combined with abdominal liposuction and any hernias removed, and muscle stitching is needed to improve midfield.
Extensive abdominal surgery
In this particular case of plastic in the abdominal area, a larger incision is made, reaching to the sides of the back and lower back. In this way, the skin is more relaxed and the body is sculpted better in the waist area. This is a method for people with major problems, which is usually caused by a great deal of weight loss either through diet or because of some stomach surgery. They should, of course, have gained a solid bodyweight for some time.
There is also an even more extensive abdominal surgery also called circular. As its name implies, this technique is done around the body and enables the buttocks to be lifted. This is why it is also called physical lifting.
Endoscopic abdominal plastic surgery
This method is not used to remove excess skin, but to tighten the abdominal muscles and create a better contour. It can also be combined with liposuction as long as it is small in size.
During surgery, a small transverse section is created over the pubic hair.
Bloodless abdominal surgery with the new PTS no pain-no drain method (without pain and drainage)
Abdominal plastic surgery with this method has as its main advantage of the minimization of surgical trauma, but also the painless and drainage recovery of the patient, who can return home the same day. Complications, such as thrombosis and pulmonary embolism, skin rash or necrosis, are minimized.
Everything is done without contact with the hands, except with special tools, and no nerves are cut. In particular, lymph nodes are maintained at the lateral side of the abdominal wall to restrict hypoglossia. Also, the nerves and vessels do not matter, minimizing pain and facilitating blood flow to the area.
The PST belly shredder is made with the help of a special tool that minimizes tissue injury and does not cause bleeding. As a result, blood transfusions and drainage are no longer needed, which facilitates the patient’s immediate movement (within 6 hours of surgery).
Finally, the right abdominal muscles are sutured internally to correct their dimension and relaxation, while the incisions (vertical and horizontal) are closed internally with special PTS sutures without leaving a gap.
Abdominoplasty and muscle alignment (High definition abdominoplasty)
If treating abdominal relaxation is not enough for you and you want to stretch your muscles at the same time without getting tired of long-term exercise, you can do so with high definition abdominoplasty.
This method for abdominal surgery focuses on the detail. What does this mean; The plastic surgeon, in addition to tightening the skin, stretching and cutting off the excess part of the body, also intervenes in the abdominal muscles, creating the effect of the line. This is done by applying special absorbent sutures and results in a beautiful and abdominal body. In fact, the recovery time after this procedure is 7 days shorter than the standard abdominal plastic method.
It is worth noting, however, that this technique is spectacular in people under 60 years of age who have gained and stabilized it with good body mass index. Not suitable for obese people with thick abdominal wall due to fat accumulation, because the lineage is not obvious.
Two-level abdominal plastic surgery (Dual plane non-touch pain tummy tuck abdomnoplasty)
This modern plastic method combines flat belly, waist ring, and abdominal lining. It is a painless and almost painless technique that belongs to classical abdominal surgery but has fewer complications and less swelling.
In particular, the doctor corrects the hanging belly and pulls the skin down without first removing it. At the same time, it tightens the abdominal muscles with special sutures, giving them a youthful and linear appearance. During this surgery any white line hernias, umbilical hernia or groin can be removed.
Abdominal incision with peripheral incision
This sophisticated abdominal plastic surgery technique is ideal for women aged 35-50 who have a great relaxation centered around the belly button. This is a problem usually caused by pregnancies at an early age, but also by a large weight loss in a short period of time.
The application of peripheral abdominoplasty is much easier and painless than the classical method and does not have the 15-day hassle with the older plastic technique. It is also applied with local anesthesia, and complications and other problems are very rare.
The incision is made only around the navel, which corrects the muscles and removes excess skin and extra fat. Therefore, after the operation there is only one round mark in the area of the bladder, which disappears after 2 months, making a slight correction in the surgery.
If necessary, this method can be easily converted to classic or mini abdominal surgery.
Common complications from abdominal surgery
As with any surgery, there is always the possibility of some complications, but in most cases, they are easily treated.
- Inflammation, that is, wound infections treated with antibiotics and drainage
- Disturbances in the hemorrhage or healing of the flap
- Blood collection in the abdominal area treated with drainage
- Collection of serous fluid under the abdominal flap, which is usually absorbed by itself, removed by syringe or drained
- Asymmetries in the abdominal area
- Shrinkage of the umbilical scar
- Annoying scars (due to poor skin quality in the area, which can then be mitigated or disappeared by laser)
- Postoperative hernias or thrombosis are rarely present
- Problems and delays in the healing of incisions, mainly in smokers, so it is advisable to stop the cigarette for 2 weeks before and 2 after surgery, but also in diabetics
Recovery from plastic in the abdominal area
The recovery time depends on the abdominal procedure to be applied.
- The patient remains in the clinic for 1-2 days, depending on the extent of the operation. In fact, there are cases such as the mini-abdominoplasty or PTS bloodless plastic belly that does not need to stay in the hospital but may return home after a few hours of observation.
- In cases of drainage, removal is usually done after 3 days.
- The same day you will start eating liquids and then if you do not have nausea you will go on a regular diet.
- It is recommended to take antibiotics for a few days in order to avoid wound infection. Your doctor will also give you instructions on cleaning and changes to gauze.
- You should walk, even on the first day of surgery, to improve blood circulation and avoid clots in the lower limbs. In fact, you will wear special antithrombotic socks while you are in the clinic. The first few days of walking should be done with slightly bent knees and the body tilted forward.
- The pain, more like nausea in the first 3-4 days, is treated with mild painkillers. The area of surgery is generally hypersensitive for a short time.
- It is advisable that you lie down on your knees. This will reduce the tension, relax the stitches and make you feel more comfortable.
- In the early days, you may feel tight abdominal muscles, but this is normal.
- The bruises and edema that may occur in the area of the incision will gradually subside after a few days.
- After the surgery and for some time, which will be determined by the plastic surgeon, usually 4-6 weeks, 24-hour use of a special belt or corset for the belly is required. It helps to recover faster and avoid swelling while creating a sense of security for the patient.
- The first stitches leave the area after 7-10 days, and in 10-14 days the stitches are removed from the bikini. The inner seams are made with absorbable sutures.
- The first visit to the plastic surgeon is after a week.
- The incision is hidden through the underwear and depending on the skin type it slowly fades. It usually takes 6-12 months. If there is severe abdominal surgery, the incision may not be completely gone. For faster healing of the incision, a special healing cream is recommended.
- You can return to your core work after 4 days, and for heavy activities, you will have to wait 4 weeks.
- Returning to work is usually done after 2 weeks, always depending on the intensity of your work.
- Driving is allowed after the first 2 weeks.
- Exercise – the gym starts after 6 weeks, where the abdominal muscles will heal.
In order to maintain the effect of abdominal surgery, you need to maintain a normal weight and incorporate exercise into your program.
Now you know Everything about abdominal surgery. So, how about cost..?
The cost of abdominal surgery
The cost is calculated after the first visit with the plastic surgeon who will perform the operation and after determining the size of the problem and the method of abdominal surgery to be applied.
Also, an important factor in determining the final price is the fee the physician demands for his services, as well as the clinic where the plastic surgery will be performed.
In general, the price of the mini-abdominoplasty, due to the smaller area of the surgery, is more economical than that of a conventional plastic abdomen.
It is worth noting that you can have a plastic belly in both a private clinic and a public hospital. Simply in the case of abdominal surgery in a public hospital, the costs are covered by the funds only in cases of medical rather than cosmetic problems.